Food, Transportation and Other Essentials

Find food or get a ride to an appointment.

Drive-up food distribution and meal delivery

Start with the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank

Search the Allegheny County Food Map by neighborhood for free food distribution sites meal delivery.

Sign up for SNAP (food stamps)

Start with The Pennsylvania Department of Human Services

You can apply if you are head of your household or a spouse. A friend or relative can also apply on your behalf. Learn more about how SNAP works.

Need help filling out the application? Contact Just Harvest at 412-431-8960 (option 3), fill out this online form or find another COMPASS Community Partner to assist you.

Food and essentials for pregnant individuals and new parents

Start with Hello Baby

If you are pregnant or have a young child, you may quality for the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program. Fill out this short form or call 412-350-5801. Learn more about getting started with WIC.

Get transportation to an appointment

Start with the Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP)

If you live in Allegheny County and you get Medicaid, you can get free bus passes or reimbursed from MATP if you pay for ridesharing like Uber or Lyft.

  • Call 1-888-547-MATP (6287) Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or
  • Fill out the application (MATP application for adults) (MATP application for anyone younger than 18) sign it and email to: You can also drop it off at the Human Services Building at One Smithfield Street on the 1st floor.

Other helpful resources

Have a question or concern about services?

DHS Director's Action Line specialists are available Monday - Friday 8AM - 5PM.

People who searched for Food, Transportation and Other Essentials also looked for: